I saw the Barbie movie today, and it was my first time in a movie theater since 2019. I laughed. I cried. I brought my Legally Blonde 2 Barbie. It was an amazing movie, and I loved it.
We(My husband Jerrod and I) went to the theater to see the Barbie movie, and it was definitely worth going out to see right away. It was a Tuesday afternoon, and the theater was still filled with people dressed in pink!
I brought my Legally Blonde 2 Barbie portraying Elle Woods in Barbie form, and she literally sat in a cup holder.
Some thoughts: The Barbie movie beautifully portrayed what it’s like to play with your dolls. It explored being human, a girl, and a woman.
I’m obviously Greta Gerwig’s exact age, because I recognized, like, every Barbie. I looked it up, and yes, we were born the same summer in 1983.
- Visually stunning, with amazing performances by every cast member.
- It was a magical realism movie.
- My “weird Barbie” was my All American Girl Barbie, which my little sister cut the hair off of, and drew on jewelry with a marker.
- America Ferrera as the mom of a tween spoke to me.
- My husband liked it too. He actually compared it to Star Trek and The Matrix. Jerrod said it reminded him of the beginning of The Matrix 4, but it actually delivered on the promise of the movie.
We like other colors, but pink just looks so good on us.
Thoughts with Potential Spoilers
- Comparisons to The Matrix; Obviously the scene with Weird Barbie where she’s told to choose the high heeled shoe or the Birkenstock, but also the first scene with Ruth in the kitchen had vibes of Neo visiting the Oracle.
- I love that Barbie defeated the patriarchy, and all the times they literally named Patriarchy.
- Gloria (the mom) yelling out “Some of these are archival!” When Barbie’s outfits were being thrown out of the dream house. LOL.
- “We make up things, like patriarchy and Barbie”
- Ken got a good ending too. Even though he didn’t get the romance he wanted with Barbie, she encouraged him to go be his own person.
- At the very end of the movie, Barbie was wearing pink Birkenstocks
- I was happy I’d brought my Legally Blonde Barbie. Elle Woods would’ve loved this movie.
- Interview with Greta Gerwig listing 33 films that inspired her for Barbie. It includes many of my favorites, including The Wizard of Oz, His Girl Friday, and The Philedelphia Story.
- The Making of Biblical Womanhood by Beth Allison Barr Defeat patriarchy in the church with this book.